I have to be honest. Although I am a Texas girl, I am not the biggest chili fan. When I was younger, I loved chili dogs but as I’ve gotten older, I have found it difficult to enjoy eating chili because it is quickly followed by a bloated tired feeling that we all know as the itis. Since embarking on my health journey, I have created an easy, quick, and vegan chili recipe that I keep in my back pocket for days when I just need some comfort food. Think about it. When can you ever find a recipe that is all three: easy, quick AND vegan? Yeah, I can’t think of many others that fit the criteria.
Why This Easy Vegan Chili Recipe?
Last year, I posted an IG story showing the tofu chili I make from time to time and received a DM asking for the recipe. Guys, I promise to get better at providing a recipe with my IG story so I don’t flaunt the delicious treats and leave you wanting without a recipe to enjoy yourselves.
I personally recommend eating this with some cornbread or unsalted crackers. For me, nothing beats a little carb in my dinner and I can’t think of a better pair than cornbread and chili.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and enjoy a healthier version of chili featuring super firm tofu and whatever beans you have in the pantry. Really! You don’t have to be picky. I always put whichever beans I have on hand in the recipe and I don’t worry about the selection. I’ve never been led astray.
If you try this recipe, be sure to share it with me on instagram or via email. I love to see that we’re on this journey toward wholesome living together.
Easy Vegan Tofu & Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 2 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 2 14 oz diced tomato canned
- 1 14.5 oz kidney beans canned, supplement with what you have on hand
- 1 14.5 oz great northern beans canned, supplement with what you have on hand
- 16 oz super firm tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch cocoa powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Finely dice onion and bell peppers. Add to a pot along with garlic over medium low heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
- While onion and peppers are cooking, roughly crumble super firm tofu by hand. Do not over crumble. Set aside.
- Add ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, and vegetable broth powder. Mix immediately.
- Immediately add canned diced tomatoes, kidney beans, great northern beans, tofu, water, cocoa powder, and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Once boiling, immediately reduce to a light simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve alone or with your favorite cornbread.